ALONE is appealing to members of the public to check in on older people in advance of this week’s cold weather.
Ensure that the older people in your community have fuel, food, medication and have sufficient communication with someone, so that they are prepared for the weather ahead.
For older people, cold weather can be more than just an inconvenience! Call ALONE on 01 6791032 or visit alone.ie today for help and advice on coping with the cold.
Advice for Older People in Cold Weather
Staying well and warm:
- Eat hot meals regularly and drink plenty of fluids. This will keep you warm.
- Have enough fuel supplies to keep your house warm. Spending your money on heating is a priority for you: keep your heating on all day.
- Keep as active as possible. If you can, do some light exercise indoors.
- Make sure you have enough of any medication you need for a week. If you need medication, call your pharmacist.
- Check you have enough food, water and fuel.
- Ask family, friends and neighbours for help if you need it.